The Power of Listening
Marlon Brando said one of the best things that I've heard about actors. He said, “An actor is a guy who if you ain’t talking about him he ain’t listening” -- which has been my experience.
Listening is a critical component of acting, but from a business perspective there needs to be one step prior to great listening to be effective. You have to surround yourself with people who are better, smarter, more creative than you so you really have a full appreciation for the power of listening.
The secret for me is finding people who complement each other well, finding the right balance and then sitting at the center of them and absorbing their knowledge, their expertise, their talents, and just driving them forward and really being kind of an empty vessel for the larger talents of everyone who surround you and who really form the real structure of the organization.
- The meaning of the word 'confidence' seems obvious. But it's not the same as self-esteem.
- Confidence isn't just a feeling on your inside. It comes from taking action in the world.
- Join Big Think Edge today and learn how to achieve more confidence when and where it really matters.
- Prejudice is typically perpetrated against 'the other', i.e. a group outside our own.
- But ageism is prejudice against ourselves — at least, the people we will (hopefully!) become.
- Different generations needs to cooperate now more than ever to solve global problems.
The controversial herbicide is everywhere, apparently.
- U.S. PIRG tested 20 beers and wines, including organics, and found Roundup's active ingredient in almost all of them.
- A jury on August 2018 awarded a non-Hodgkin's lymphoma victim $289 million in Roundup damages.
- Bayer/Monsanto says Roundup is totally safe. Others disagree.
The team caught a glimpse of a process that takes 18,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 years.
- In Italy, a team of scientists is using a highly sophisticated detector to hunt for dark matter.
- The team observed an ultra-rare particle interaction that reveals the half-life of a xenon-124 atom to be 18 sextillion years.
- The half-life of a process is how long it takes for half of the radioactive nuclei present in a sample to decay.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.