Teachers Are the Best Fundraisers
Jeff Walker: The teacher is the individual who I can associate with, who I want to track over time and who I will connect to.
Jeff Walker is an active philanthropist who brings his collaboration, venture capital and management skills to the social enterprise space. He is particularly focused on Global Health; scaling social enterprises; mind development; bringing music to kids; education and creativity.
Jeff recently co-authored a new book , “The Generosity Network”, about new approaches to gather resources to address causes each of us are passionate about.
For twenty five years he was CEO and Co-Founder of JPMorgan Partners, JPMorgan Chase’s $12 billion global private equity group; Vice Chairman of JPMorgan Chase and Chairman of the JPMorgan Chase Foundation. MBA HBS and B.S. from University of Virginia.
An avatar, to me, is someone that I wish I were but I don’t have the time to be. So I’m going to help that person. I’m going to work with him. I’m going to partner with him in something. I might come to their class at a university. I might help hire some students. I might refer them to some potential funding resources if they’re trying to do some research.
One of the great examples of this is donorschoose.com. They match the needs of teachers and schools to donors who are willing to fund those needs. They’re outsourcing. And so you can have a project that says "I need six flutes for my band class and it’s going to cost me a thousand dollars." They put it up online. So they get people who say, “Oh, I’ll pay two hundred dollars for that.” And they’ll get five people that put up two hundred dollars and then they’ll buy the flutes.
What they found is they have much increased response rates in people that return if they focus on the teacher and the story of the teacher rather than the project. The teacher becomes the avatar. The teacher is the individual who I can associate with, who I want to track over time and who I will connect to.
In Their Own Words is recorded in Big Think's studio.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock
Our experience of time may be blinding us to its true nature, say scientists.
- Time may not be passing at all, says the Block Universe Theory.
- Time travel may be possible.
- Your perception of time is likely relative to you and limited.
From questionable shipwrecks to outright attacks, they clearly don't want to be bothered.
- Many have tried to contact the Sentinelese, to write about them, or otherwise.
- But the inhabitants of the 23 square mile island in the Bay of Bengal don't want anything to do with the outside world.
- Their numbers are unknown, but either 40 or 500 remain.
At least he wasn't burned at the stake, right?
- The letter suggests Galileo censored himself a bit in order to fly more under the radar. It didn't work, though.
- The Royal Society Journal will publish the variants of the letters shortly, and scholars will begin to analyze the results.
- The letter was in obscurity for hundreds of years in Royal Society Library in London.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.