Take Risks with the Fresh and New
Embrace change. Embrace what that future is. Don't fear it because that's your biggest upside.
I believed that one of the magical things that happens in television is you turn it on and someone comes into your home, into your life, and there's nothing more exciting than making that bond with talent, having that sense of discovery. So fresh is not always tested. Fresh is not guaranteed, but it’s your biggest upside. Cut against the grain.
Will & Grace did that. And that really was the name of the game for us. Take a risk, go with Jerry Seinfeld and Larry David who had never done it before. They scared us. And yet, there was something fresh and original.
Take a deep breath, know it might be the last one you take in that job, but magic happens. And there seems to be an insatiable appetite for something new and for that sense of discovery. So embrace change. Embrace what that future is. Don't fear it because that's your biggest upside.
In Their Own Words is recorded in Big Think's studio.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock
Malcolm Gladwell teaches "Get over yourself and get to work" for Big Think Edge.
- Learn to recognize failure and know the big difference between panicking and choking.
- At Big Think Edge, Malcolm Gladwell teaches how to check your inner critic and get clear on what failure is.
- Subscribe to Big Think Edge before we launch on March 30 to get 20% off monthly and annual memberships.
Do you have a magnetic compass in your head?
Turns out pushups are more telling than treadmill tests when it comes to cardiovascular health.
- Men who can perform 40 pushups in one minute are 96 percent less likely to have cardiovascular disease than those who do less than 10.
- The Harvard study focused on over 1,100 firefighters with a median age of 39.
- The exact results might not be applicable to men of other age groups or to women, researchers warn.
On Thursday, New Zealand moved to ban an array of semi-automatic guns and firearms components following a mass shooting that killed 50 people.
- Gun control supporters are pointing to the ban as an example of swift, decisive action that the U.S. desperately needs.
- Others note the inherent differences between the two nations, arguing that it is a good thing that it is relatively hard to pass such legislation in such a short timeframe.
- The ban will surely shape future conversations about gun control in the U.S.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.