Oxytocin: The Cuddle Chemical
Couples that stay together tend to have very highly correlated levels of oxytocin.
What’s interesting is that couples that stay together tend to have very highly correlated levels of oxytocin. Oxytocin is one of the chemicals that comes up with people are in love. It’s also related to maternal behaviors. It’s often referred to as the cuddle chemical.
And what’s interesting is that in Cotton Top Tamarins, these high affiliated couples tend to boost up these oxytocin levels by giving their partners what they need. The males tend to do more cuddling, more grooming, more "Hey, honey, how was your day?" and the females tend to give the males more sex.
And I found it really interesting that monkeys - and they’re not even like big primates, these are cute little monkeys - manage to facilitate this bond and strengthen this bond by really just being thoughtful and giving their partner what they need, putting their partner before themselves. And maybe there’s a lesson in there for us.
In Their Own Words is recorded in Big Think's studio.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
How you talk to people with drug addiction might save their life.
- Addiction is a learning disorder; it's not a sign that someone is a bad person.
- Tough love doesn't help drug-addicted people. Research shows that the best way to get people help is through compassion, empathy and support. Approach them as an equal human being deserving of respect.
- As a first step to recovery, Maia Szalavitz recommends the family or friends of people with addiction get them a complete psychiatric evaluation by somebody who is not affiliated with any treatment organization. Unfortunately, warns Szalavitz, some people will try to make a profit off of an addicted person without informing them of their full options.
These photos of scientific heroes and accomplishments inspire awe and curiosity.
- Science has given humanity an incalculable boost over the recent centuries, changing our lives in ways both awe-inspiring and humbling.
- Fortunately, photography, a scientific feat in and of itself, has recorded some of the most important events, people and discoveries in science, allowing us unprecedented insight and expanding our view of the world.
- Here are some of the most important scientific photos of history:
China's Chang'e 4 biosphere experiment marks a first for humankind.
- China's Chang'e 4 lunar lander touched down on the far side of the moon on January 3.
- In addition to a lunar rover, the lander carried a biosphere experiment that contains five sets of plants and some insects.
- The experiment is designed to test how astronauts might someday grow plants in space to sustain long-term settlements.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.