News Flash: Time is Real
This is to counterpose the picture which is developed in physics from Galileo and Newton and Descartes down to the present quantum cosmologists.
By "time is real" I mean to say that the experience that we have that we live in a moment, so that everything we experience and know about is caught in time, is caught in a moment, is not an illusion.
It’s the deepest clue we have, perhaps, to the nature of reality. This is to counterpose the picture which is developed in physics from Galileo and Newton and Descartes down to the present quantum cosmologists. That time is an illusion, time is an auxiliary that the reality is behind this veil of illusion, is timeless, is permanent, is outside of time and that we just, as Einstein and many other people have said, we live – our experience of the distinction between past, present and future is an illusion and reality is just the whole history of the world at once.
In Their Own Words is recorded in Big Think's studio.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
Is it "perverseness," the "death drive," or something else?
Eight-dimensional octonions may hold the clues to solve fundamental mysteries.
- Physicists discover complex numbers called octonions that work in 8 dimensions.
- The numbers have been found linked to fundamental forces of reality.
- Understanding octonions can lead to a new model of physics.
It's up to us humans to re-humanize our world. An economy that prioritizes growth and profits over humanity has led to digital platforms that "strip the topsoil" of human behavior, whole industries, and the planet, giving less and less back. And only we can save us.
- It's an all-hands-on-deck moment in the arc of civilization.
- Everyone has a choice: Do you want to try to earn enough money to insulate yourself from the world you're creating— or do you want to make the world a place you don't have to insulate yourself from?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.