Don't Live in a Dream World Chasing Your Dream Job
Living your dream job has nothing to do with the specifics of the job. It has to do with the fulfillment that you get from that job.
The vast majority of us can have a dream job. A job that we love. But we have to be very, very careful how we judge a job. Does everyone want to be Mark Zuckerberg? Is that the dream job? Does everyone want to be CEO of a multi-billion dollar organization? Why would everyone want to be Mark Zuckerberg. Because he’s a young billionaire? That’s not a dream job, that’s a result. That’s a bank account.
Do we all want to be rich? Maybe. Would you rather be happy? And the question is, do you have to be rich to be happy? And we know intellectually, this is nonsense. Of course you don’t. And so we have to be very careful when we describe a dream job.
How do you know that there's not a janitor in a school who’s proud to come to school every day and create an environment in which the kids run around and enjoy themselves and it's a great learning environment. And he takes great pride that these kids love coming to school because he helps keep the school clean. Is he living his dream job? Absolutely. Because he's giving back, he's doing something bigger than himself and he goes home at the end of the day fulfilled.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be an astronaut. And somebody asked me recently, "why did you want to be an astronaut?" And I thought about it for a second and I thought I wanted to be an astronaut because I wanted to go and do something that very few people get to do and look down at our planet from a perspective that very few people have and come back and bring back down what I saw with hopes of inspiring everybody else who didn't get the opportunity.
As I told this story, I realized that's exactly what I do. I never went into space, but I am an astronaut. I get to see a world, do things that most people don't get to do and see a perspective that most people don't get a chance to have and I get to share that perspective. And I'm learning about inspiring people to go on to do whatever it is they want to do. I am an astronaut; I just didn't go into space to get it.
And so living your dream job has nothing to do with the specifics of the job. It has to do with the fulfillment that you get from that job. And we have to be very careful about how we judge certain jobs. To compare jobs based on what you do is no way to pursue your dreams.
In Their Own Words is recorded in Big Think's studio.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
How you talk to people with drug addiction might save their life.
- Addiction is a learning disorder; it's not a sign that someone is a bad person.
- Tough love doesn't help drug-addicted people. Research shows that the best way to get people help is through compassion, empathy and support. Approach them as an equal human being deserving of respect.
- As a first step to recovery, Maia Szalavitz recommends the family or friends of people with addiction get them a complete psychiatric evaluation by somebody who is not affiliated with any treatment organization. Unfortunately, warns Szalavitz, some people will try to make a profit off of an addicted person without informing them of their full options.
Meanwhile, Spaniards are the least likely to say their culture is superior to others.
- Survey by Pew Research Center shows great variation in chauvinism across Europe.
- Eight most chauvinist countries are in the east, and include Russia.
- British much more likely than French (and slightly more likely than Germans) to say their culture is "superior" to others.
China's Chang'e 4 biosphere experiment marks a first for humankind.
- China's Chang'e 4 lunar lander touched down on the far side of the moon on January 3.
- In addition to a lunar rover, the lander carried a biosphere experiment that contains five sets of plants and some insects.
- The experiment is designed to test how astronauts might someday grow plants in space to sustain long-term settlements.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.