A Shout-Out for Self-Awareness
Understanding biases in your decision-making is half the battle.
Tony Tjan is the Managing Partner of the venture capital firm Cue Ball Capital, and founder of the Internet advisory group, ZEFER. He is the author of HEART, SMARTS, GUTS, and LUCK: What it Takes to be an Entrepreneur and Build a Great Business, which shows how you can assess your own attributes to determine which could influence your success at entrepreneurship—and every step of business building.
My book Heart, Smarts, Guts and Luck was inspired by a deep interest in self-awareness.
So why is self-awareness so important in leaderships and business-building?
It’s driven by the fact that many of us aren’t self-aware enough. There’s a reason rehab programs start with admitting you have a problem, and self-awareness is really the foundation for doing better. It’s really the foundation for understanding what biases your decision-making. So when we talk about heart inspired, smarts inspired, or guts driven, or luck driven people, understanding biases in your decision-making is half the battle. You can reflect back and have a framing to say, “Boy, you know, I was probably driven a lot by my passion, my purpose around there and I didn’t take XYZ into account.”
And it’s only through self-awareness that I think you can improve and understand why it is you make the decisions that you do. We hope we’re sparking a self-awareness conversation. We hope you out there will be part of it and help push a movement for greater self-awareness.
In Their Own Words is recorded in Big Think's studio.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock
A federal judge ruled that the Trump administration likely violated the reporter's Fifth Amendment rights when it stripped his press credentials earlier this month.
- Acosta will be allowed to return to the White House on Friday.
- The judge described the ruling as narrow, and didn't rule one way or the other on violations of the First Amendment.
- The case is still open, and the administration may choose to appeal the ruling.
Progressive America would be half as big, but twice as populated as its conservative twin.
- America's two political tribes have consolidated into 'red' and 'blue' nations, with seemingly irreconcilable differences.
- Perhaps the best way to stop the infighting is to go for a divorce and give the two nations a country each
- Based on the UN's partition plan for Israel/Palestine, this proposal provides territorial contiguity and sea access to both 'red' and 'blue' America
The definition of a kilogram will now be fixed to Planck's constant, a fundamental part of quantum physics.
- The new definition of a kilogram is based on a physical constant in quantum physics.
- Unlike the current definition of a kilogram, this measurement will never change.
- Scientists also voted to update the definitions of several other measurements in physics.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.