Zuckerberg Should Call Off FB Police
Official groups and allied militia, frequently attack dissidents. It has now happened in Egypt. The most important Facebook page for the protests is being flooded with abusive comments.
Despite the fact that dissidents and concerned citizens in general in a host of countries, many in North Africa, have used Facebook as a way to register their hopes, fears, hurt and anger at their leaders, Facebook itself has remained unmoved. Facebook has a tremendously loud voice. It could make a world of difference. Let Mr. Zuckerberg stand up and say, "We stand with our users. We insist that the marketplace of ideas be allowed to work with as little interference as the financial marketplace in which Facebook makes its money."
New research links urban planning and political polarization.
- Canadian researchers find that excessive reliance on cars changes political views.
- Decades of car-centric urban planning normalized unsustainable lifestyles.
- People who prefer personal comfort elect politicians who represent such views.
Progressive America would be half as big, but twice as populated as its conservative twin.
- America's two political tribes have consolidated into 'red' and 'blue' nations, with seemingly irreconcilable differences.
- Perhaps the best way to stop the infighting is to go for a divorce and give the two nations a country each
- Based on the UN's partition plan for Israel/Palestine, this proposal provides territorial contiguity and sea access to both 'red' and 'blue' America
Science and the squishiness of the human mind. The joys of wearing whatever the hell you want, and so much more.
- Why can't we have a human-sized cat tree?
- What would happen if you got a spoonful of a neutron star?
- Why do we insist on dividing our wonderfully complex selves into boring little boxes
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.