Willpower Myth & Quitting Smoking
When it comes to changing long-standing habits, such as cigarette smoking, why not make changing old, unproductive behaviors as easy and pain-free as possible?
Dr. Daniel Seidman says men fall too easily into the 'willpower' trap, and ignore available help at their peril. "When it comes to changing long-standing habits, such as cigarette smoking, for instance, I tell people they don't get extra points for suffering. Why not make changing old, unproductive behaviors as easy and pain-free as possible? In the end, those who are by nature self-reliant often make the best use of help when it is offered. They are also able to move on quickly if the help being offered is unproductive."
Upvote/downvote each of the videos below!
As you vote, keep in mind that we are looking for a winner with the most engaging social venture pitch - an idea you would want to invest in.
Here are 7 often-overlooked World Heritage Sites, each with its own history.
- UNESCO World Heritage Sites are locations of high value to humanity, either for their cultural, historical, or natural significance.
- Some are even designated as World Heritage Sites because humans don't go there at all, while others have felt the effects of too much human influence.
- These 7 UNESCO World Heritage Sites each represent an overlooked or at-risk facet of humanity's collective cultural heritage.
Famous physicists like Richard Feynman think 137 holds the answers to the Universe.
- The fine structure constant has mystified scientists since the 1800s.
- The number 1/137 might hold the clues to the Grand Unified Theory.
- Relativity, electromagnetism and quantum mechanics are unified by the number.
A new method promises to capture an elusive dark world particle.
- Scientists working on the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) devised a method for trapping dark matter particles.
- Dark matter is estimated to take up 26.8% of all matter in the Universe.
- The researchers will be able to try their approach in 2021, when the LHC goes back online.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.