Will Women Earn More Than Men?
"Will the average earnings of women begin before long to exceed that of men after being so far behind in the past?" Nobel Laureate Gary Becker on women's propensity for education.
"Although the average earnings of full time women have not yet overtaken that of full time men, as we ahve shown the gender earnings gap has narrowed substantially. Indeed, in about 30% of all American households with two earners, wives are already earnings more than their husbands. Moreover, if the gender gap in education continues to widen, it may not be long before the average earnings of fulltime women does exceed that of men. This would mark a culmination of a remarkable reversal of the gender gap not only in education but also in earnings."
New research links urban planning and political polarization.
- Canadian researchers find that excessive reliance on cars changes political views.
- Decades of car-centric urban planning normalized unsustainable lifestyles.
- People who prefer personal comfort elect politicians who represent such views.
Progressive America would be half as big, but twice as populated as its conservative twin.
- America's two political tribes have consolidated into 'red' and 'blue' nations, with seemingly irreconcilable differences.
- Perhaps the best way to stop the infighting is to go for a divorce and give the two nations a country each
- Based on the UN's partition plan for Israel/Palestine, this proposal provides territorial contiguity and sea access to both 'red' and 'blue' America
Science and the squishiness of the human mind. The joys of wearing whatever the hell you want, and so much more.
- Why can't we have a human-sized cat tree?
- What would happen if you got a spoonful of a neutron star?
- Why do we insist on dividing our wonderfully complex selves into boring little boxes
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.