Will China Overtake the US?
The prediction goes like this: China will overtake the US first in real GDP, then in per-capita GDP. In other words, it will become the new America. Yet doubts persist about Chinese growth.
What's the Latest Development?
Today, the World Bank will release a report called 'China 2030' which addresses the structural changes that the country must make to maintain robust economic growth. In other words, continued Chinese growth is not a sure thing. The report will explain that more state owned enterprises, which are protected from competition and given access to cheap loans from state banks, should be privatized. China's economy should also begin shifting away from a massive export surplus to encourage the domestic consumption of retail goods.
What's the Big Idea?
For years, economists have been predicting that China will overtake the US. These sorts of predictions were made equally about the Soviet Union, which ultimately lacked a private retail sector to encourage domestic growth, and then about Japan, whose growth slowed sharply in the 1990s. In other words, assurances of China's approaching economic dominance should be taken with a grain of salt, says Nobel economics laureate Gary Becker. The shift away from an export-heavy market will not come easily or pleasantly to China.
Photo credit: shutterstock.com
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
In his final years, Martin Luther King, Jr. become increasingly focused on the problem of poverty in America.
- Despite being widely known for his leadership role in the American civil rights movement, Martin Luther King, Jr. also played a central role in organizing the Poor People's Campaign of 1968.
- The campaign was one of the first to demand a guaranteed income for all poor families in America.
- Today, the idea of a universal basic income is increasingly popular, and King's arguments in support of the policy still make a good case some 50 years later.
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
For Damien Echols, tattoos are part of his existential armor.
- In prison Damien Echols was known by his number SK931, not his name, and had his hair sheared off. Stripped of his identity, the only thing he had left was his skin.
- This is why he began tattooing things that are meaningful to him — to carry a "suit of armor" made up the images of the people and objects that have significance to him, from his friends to talismans.
- Echols believes that all places are imbued with divinity: "If you interact with New York City as if there's an intelligence behind... then it will behave towards you the same way."
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.