Will Siri be your Perfect PA?
Apple's new voice-driven artificial intelligence system, Siri—integrated into the company's new iPhone—could be the biggest deployment of human-like AI the world has seen.
What's the Latest Development?
Is it just hype or is Apple's new voice-driven artificial intelligence system, Siri—integrated into the company's new iPhone—a life changer? Siri is aware of locations and can remind you of things in particular places and seems as close to a general-purpose virtual assistant as anybody has come. Reviews have been very strong.
What's the Big Idea?
"It's kind of like having the unpaid intern of my dreams at my beck and call, organizing my life for me," Wired's Brian Chen wrote. "I think Siri on the iPhone is a life changer, and this is only the beginning." The difference between Siri and what came before is massive amounts of data that allowed both the construction of algorithms that decipher voice and a lot more situational awareness.
A federal judge ruled that the Trump administration likely violated the reporter's Fifth Amendment rights when it stripped his press credentials earlier this month.
- Acosta will be allowed to return to the White House on Friday.
- The judge described the ruling as narrow, and didn't rule one way or the other on violations of the First Amendment.
- The case is still open, and the administration may choose to appeal the ruling.
Protected animals are feared to be headed for the black market.
New research identifies an unexpected source for some of earth's water.
- A lot of Earth's water is asteroidal in origin, but some of it may come from dissolved solar nebula gas.
- Our planet hides majority of its water inside: two oceans in the mantle and 4–5 in the core.
- New reason to suspect that water is abundant throughout the universe.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.