Will Siri be your Perfect PA?
Apple's new voice-driven artificial intelligence system, Siri—integrated into the company's new iPhone—could be the biggest deployment of human-like AI the world has seen.
What's the Latest Development?
Is it just hype or is Apple's new voice-driven artificial intelligence system, Siri—integrated into the company's new iPhone—a life changer? Siri is aware of locations and can remind you of things in particular places and seems as close to a general-purpose virtual assistant as anybody has come. Reviews have been very strong.
What's the Big Idea?
"It's kind of like having the unpaid intern of my dreams at my beck and call, organizing my life for me," Wired's Brian Chen wrote. "I think Siri on the iPhone is a life changer, and this is only the beginning." The difference between Siri and what came before is massive amounts of data that allowed both the construction of algorithms that decipher voice and a lot more situational awareness.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
For Damien Echols, tattoos are part of his existential armor.
- In prison Damien Echols was known by his number SK931, not his name, and had his hair sheared off. Stripped of his identity, the only thing he had left was his skin.
- This is why he began tattooing things that are meaningful to him — to carry a "suit of armor" made up the images of the people and things that have significance to him, from his friends to talismans.
- Echols believes that all places are imbued with divinity: "If you interact with New York City as if there's an intelligence behind... then it will behave towards you the same way.".
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
Even some teachers suffer from anxiety about math.
I teach people how to teach math, and I've been working in this field for 30 years. Across those decades, I've met many people who suffer from varying degrees of math trauma – a form of debilitating mental shutdown when it comes to doing mathematics.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.