Will China Use Its Space Station to Claim the Moon?
China has taken an important step in building a space station by 2020 and an American aerospace engineer says China will own the moon in 15 years. Is this a new space race?
What's the Latest Development?
China has launched a second space vehicle into orbit, a crucial step in its ability to build a space station by 2020. The unmanned Shenzou 8 spacecraft, launched on Monday, will dock automatically with the space lab Tiangong 1 which has been circling the globe since late September. Unlike the U.S., China will attempt to unite the two craft without the use of a human pilot. That engineering feat is an ambitious goal, says Tim Robinson, editor of Aerospace International.
What's the Big Idea?
The ability to dock spacecraft in orbit is crucial to the construction of a space station, an ambition which China hopes to realize by 2020. It is only the third country, behind the U.S. and Russia, to launch humans into orbit. Given America's dominance in space, some feel threatened by China's ambitions. Robert Bigelow, founder of Bigelow Aerospace, believes China will claim the moon as its territory in just 15 years. Bigelow blames the failure of America's space ambition on its ballooning national debt and poor education programs.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
A completely unexpected discovery beneath the ice.
- Scientists find remains of a tardigrade and crustaceans in a deep, frozen Antarctic lake.
- The creatures' origin is unknown, and further study is ongoing.
- Biology speaks up about Antarctica's history.
Bushier eyebrows are associated with higher levels of narcissism, according to new research.
- Science has provided an excellent clue for identifying the narcissists among us.
- Eyebrows are crucial to recognizing identities.
- The study provides insight into how we process faces and our latent ability to detect toxic people.
It's one factor that can help explain the religiosity gap.
- Sociologists have long observed a gap between the religiosity of men and women.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.