Why Telecom Operators Deliberately Slow or Stop Your Surfing
Wondered why your favorite Web page gets hung up or downloading of a large file inexplicably stalls? It's often due to telecom operator using a technique called throttling.
What's the Latest Development?
Wondered why your favorite Web page gets hung up or downloading of a large file inexplicably stalls? An expert reveals that the blame often lies with the telecom operator, which selectively slows broadband speeds to keep traffic flowing on its network, using a sorting technique called throttling.
What's the Big Idea?
To detect whether broadband services are being throttled by a network operator, people around the world are turning to software called Glasnost, which measures whether operators are slowing uploads and downloads. The latest results suggest that throttling occurs worldwide, though operators are reluctant to discuss it much beyond confirming they use it.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
Is it "perverseness," the "death drive," or something else?
Eight-dimensional octonions may hold the clues to solve fundamental mysteries.
- Physicists discover complex numbers called octonions that work in 8 dimensions.
- The numbers have been found linked to fundamental forces of reality.
- Understanding octonions can lead to a new model of physics.
It's up to us humans to re-humanize our world. An economy that prioritizes growth and profits over humanity has led to digital platforms that "strip the topsoil" of human behavior, whole industries, and the planet, giving less and less back. And only we can save us.
- It's an all-hands-on-deck moment in the arc of civilization.
- Everyone has a choice: Do you want to try to earn enough money to insulate yourself from the world you're creating— or do you want to make the world a place you don't have to insulate yourself from?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.