Why Students Needn't Fear Debt
The coalition has been unable to communicate to the electorate that the individual student debt they are saddling young graduates with is fairly abstract.
One of the massive fears that young people speak of is not justified. That is the fear of debt. The coalition has been unable to communicate to the electorate that the individual student debt they are saddling young graduates with is fairly abstract. No one will come knocking at the door looking for their money. The debt will be written off in 30 years if it is not paid. In that respect the loan scheme is materially no different to a graduate tax, as long as a person is Zen enough to be able to cast guilty thoughts of huge sums owing from their minds.
Malcolm Gladwell teaches "Get over yourself and get to work" for Big Think Edge.
- Learn to recognize failure and know the big difference between panicking and choking.
- At Big Think Edge, Malcolm Gladwell teaches how to check your inner critic and get clear on what failure is.
- Subscribe to Big Think Edge before we launch on March 30 to get 20% off monthly and annual memberships.
Do you have a magnetic compass in your head?
Turns out pushups are more telling than treadmill tests when it comes to cardiovascular health.
- Men who can perform 40 pushups in one minute are 96 percent less likely to have cardiovascular disease than those who do less than 10.
- The Harvard study focused on over 1,100 firefighters with a median age of 39.
- The exact results might not be applicable to men of other age groups or to women, researchers warn.
On Thursday, New Zealand moved to ban an array of semi-automatic guns and firearms components following a mass shooting that killed 50 people.
- Gun control supporters are pointing to the ban as an example of swift, decisive action that the U.S. desperately needs.
- Others note the inherent differences between the two nations, arguing that it is a good thing that it is relatively hard to pass such legislation in such a short timeframe.
- The ban will surely shape future conversations about gun control in the U.S.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.