Why Social Change Needs Public Space
Despite the emergence of social media, social change still requires the use of physical space. Occupy Wall Street protesters in Zuccotti Park are proof of America's dwindling public sphere.
What's the Latest Development?
A few weeks ago, practically nobody outside of Manhattan had heard of Zuccotti Park but now that it has become the literal home of the movement to Occupy Wall Street, it is on the world's map. But Zuccotti Park is privately owned and a zoning particularity requires that the park, unlike publicly owned space, must remain open day and night. In principle, occupiers of Zuccotti park are subject to its municipalities rules against tarps, sleeping bags and the storage of private property on the site.
What's the Big Idea?
Despite the rise of social media, public space remains necessary in uniting communities and creating demands to affect social change. But in the U.S., public space has often gone corporate, contrary to Aristotle's ancient political ideas that emphasize the importance of civic space for the execution of civic duties. "The occupation of the virtual world along with Zuccotti Park is of course jointly propelling the Occupy Wall Street movement now, and neither would be so effective minus the other."
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
The Canadian professor has an extensive collection posted on his site.
- Peterson's Great Books list features classics by Orwell, Jung, Huxley, and Dostoevsky.
- Categories include literature, neuroscience, religion, and systems analysis.
- Having recently left Patreon for "freedom of speech" reasons, Peterson is taking direct donations through Paypal (and Bitcoin).
The controversy around the Torah codes gets a new life.
- Mathematicians claim to see a predictive pattern in the ancient Torah texts.
- The code is revealed by a method found with special computer software.
- Some events described by reading the code took place after the code was written.
Despite incredible economic growth, it is not necessarily an investor's paradise.
- China's stock market is just 27 years old. It's economy has grown 30x over that time.
- Imagine if you had invested early and gotten in on the ground floor.
- Actually, you would have lost money. Here's how that's possible.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.