Why Parents Should Put Themselves Before Their Children
Putting your adult needs first will help preserve your physical and mental longevity for those you care about most. Parents should be more attentive to how they feel and where they feel it.
What's the Latest Development?
Speaking recently on the radio program "Democracy Now," physician Gabor Maté warned that the stress we put our bodies through can have a very real impact on our physical and mental health. "Maté says the majority of his patients have cheery dispositions, exhibit no observable anger, put everyone’s needs before their own and are usually extremely self-critical. These patients also have difficulty setting personal boundaries with others; it is very hard for them to say 'no.'" These qualities are what too many adults associate with being good parents to their children.
What's the Big Idea?
Being a "good enough" parent, which means preserving sufficient self-compassion to fulfill your own adult needs, will help prolong your physical health and make you a better parent. To be a "good enough" parent, try eliminating should from your vocabulary, e.g. "I should stay up all night just to wash the dishes and do the laundry"; as mindfulness is a good way to take care of yourself, try to notice what you are feeling and where you are feeling it; consider what problems you can set aside until you've enjoyed life a little; and realize that self-care is not an indulgence but a way to preserve yourself for those who you care about most.
Photo credit: Shutterstock.com
Upvote/downvote each of the videos below!
As you vote, keep in mind that we are looking for a winner with the most engaging social venture pitch - an idea you would want to invest in.
Here are 7 often-overlooked World Heritage Sites, each with its own history.
- UNESCO World Heritage Sites are locations of high value to humanity, either for their cultural, historical, or natural significance.
- Some are even designated as World Heritage Sites because humans don't go there at all, while others have felt the effects of too much human influence.
- These 7 UNESCO World Heritage Sites each represent an overlooked or at-risk facet of humanity's collective cultural heritage.
A new study shows that some men's reaction to sex is not what you'd expect, resulting in a condition previously observed in women.
A new method promises to capture an elusive dark world particle.
- Scientists working on the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) devised a method for trapping dark matter particles.
- Dark matter is estimated to take up 26.8% of all matter in the Universe.
- The researchers will be able to try their approach in 2021, when the LHC goes back online.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.