Why It Won't Be an American Century
While the US will likely rebound from its current economic crisis, we will cease to rule the world. This century calls for a cleverer brand of American engagement abroad, not denial.
What's the Latest Development?
To hear Mitt Romney talk, you might think the US had just saved Europe from the Nazis. But that was over half a century ago and American exceptionalism is waning due to emerging economies and a weakened domestic front. China's GDP will catch ours within the decade and by 2032, Goldman Sachs predicts that the combined economies of Brazil, Russia, India and China will match those of the G-7. Currently, 46 percent of Americans think we should 'mind our own business' abroad; 76 percent want us to focus on our own 'national problems'.
What's the Big Idea?
America's military will remain top dog for decades to come but the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, not to mention Vietnam, demonstrate that overwhelming force is not everything. Our leaders would be wise to protect American interests as the world transitions to a place in which power is more evenly distributed. That world is likely to include political ideologies at odds with America's commitment toward democracy and individual liberty, whether it be China's state capitalism or the Middle East's political Islam.
Photo credit: shutterstock.com
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
A growing body of research shows promising signs that the keto diet might be able to improve mental health.
- The keto diet is known to be an effective tool for weight loss, however its effects on mental health remain largely unclear.
- Recent studies suggests that the keto diet might be an effective tool for treating depression, and clearing up so-called "brain fog," though scientists caution more research is necessary before it can be recommended as a treatment.
- Any experiments with the keto diet are best done in conjunction with a doctor, considering some people face problems when transitioning to the low-carb diet.
Even when they suffer costs in doing so.
- It's commonly thought that the suppression of female sexuality is perpetuated by either men or women.
- In a new study, researchers used economics games to observe how both genders treat sexually-available women.
- The results suggests that both sexes punish female promiscuity, though for different reasons and different levels of intensity.
Thinking your life is worthwhile is correlated with a variety of positive outcomes.
- A new study finds that adults who feel their lives are meaningful have better health and life outcomes.
- Adults who felt their lives were worthwhile tended to be more social and had healthier habits.
- The findings could be used to help improve the health of older adults.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.