Why Humor Turns Women On
We all know that women like funny guys but empirical evidence for this phenomenon has been sorely lacking. Fortunately, a recent study tests whether humor helps men pick up women.
A French scientist has set out to test whether 'producing humor might function as a fitness indicator associated with greater desirability during dating selection': "For the experiment, the researcher recruited several young 'male confederates' to help out. The guys sat in a bar near a woman, and one of them was instructed to tell three jokes to his companions. The result of these shenanigans? 'The previous expression of humor was associated with greater compliance with the male confederate's request and with a higher positive evaluation.' In other words, the guy who told jokes was rated as funnier and more attractive by the women, thus snagging him more phone numbers."
The controversy around the Torah codes gets a new life.
- Mathematicians claim to see a predictive pattern in the ancient Torah texts.
- The code is revealed by a method found with special computer software.
- Some events described by reading the code took place after the code was written.
Progressive America would be half as big, but twice as populated as its conservative twin.
- America's two political tribes have consolidated into 'red' and 'blue' nations, with seemingly irreconcilable differences.
- Perhaps the best way to stop the infighting is to go for a divorce and give the two nations a country each
- Based on the UN's partition plan for Israel/Palestine, this proposal provides territorial contiguity and sea access to both 'red' and 'blue' America
Orangutans join humans and bees in a very exclusive club
- Orangutan mothers wait to sound a danger alarm to avoid tipping off predators to their location
- It took a couple of researchers crawling around the Sumatran jungle to discover the phenomenon
- This ability may come from a common ancestor
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.