Why Babies Smile
A baby's first smiles are not likely an expression of inner emotion but "first smiles teach infants the positive associations attached to a smile that we adults already feel," says one professor of psychology.
A baby's first smiles are not likely an expression of inner emotion but "first smiles teach infants the positive associations attached to a smile that we adults already feel," says one professor of psychology. "Daniel Messinger, a professor of psychology at the University of Miami, suspects that learning to smile—and learning what's meant by a smile—is a process, much like learning how to walk. 'I take smiling to be a social signal,' Messinger says. 'I really think that babies are learning what joy is by sharing it with someone else.' In other words, smiling might not be so much an expression of a preexisting state as a path we take to get to that state."
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
The Canadian professor has an extensive collection posted on his site.
- Peterson's Great Books list features classics by Orwell, Jung, Huxley, and Dostoevsky.
- Categories include literature, neuroscience, religion, and systems analysis.
- Having recently left Patreon for "freedom of speech" reasons, Peterson is taking direct donations through Paypal (and Bitcoin).
Evolution doesn't clean up after itself very well.
- An evolutionary biologist got people swapping ideas about our lingering vestigia.
- Basically, this is the stuff that served some evolutionary purpose at some point, but now is kind of, well, extra.
- Here are the six traits that inaugurated the fun.
Despite incredible economic growth, it is not necessarily an investor's paradise.
- China's stock market is just 27 years old. It's economy has grown 30x over that time.
- Imagine if you had invested early and gotten in on the ground floor.
- Actually, you would have lost money. Here's how that's possible.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.