Why a Strong Sense of Self Brings Good Mental Health
Researchers have found that adolescents who actively search for a personal identity are more likely to describe themselves in consistent and positive terms, reinforcing their values.
What's the Latest Development?
In a study of 508 Dutch adolescents, researchers have found that building and clarifying one's personal identity is an important phase in feeling fulfilled as an adult and retaining good mental health. Measurements were taken of two principle metrics: personal identity, defined as "the degree to which one has developed a clear, internally consistent bundle of goals, values, and beliefs," and self-concept clarity, or "individuals’ tendency to feel sure of themselves and describe themselves in positive, consistent terms." The team of researchers found a positive correlation between personal identity and self-concept clarity.
What's the Big Idea?
Among the adolescents, a strong personal commitment to a specific course of action seemed to reinforce a sense of clarity about who a person thought he or she was. That sense of clarity created positive feedback, allowing them to stay committed to their ideals more easily. The study concludes that "striking the right balance between making commitments and reconsidering commitments may be key for adolescent identity development." The research recognizes that some reconsideration of commitments is necessary for healthy development, but that daily struggles to develop a sense of identity may have negative outcomes.
Photo credit: Shutterstock.com
To create wiser adults, add empathy to the school curriculum.
- Stories are at the heart of learning, writes Cleary Vaughan-Lee, Executive Director for the Global Oneness Project. They have always challenged us to think beyond ourselves, expanding our experience and revealing deep truths.
- Vaughan-Lee explains 6 ways that storytelling can foster empathy and deliver powerful learning experiences.
- Global Oneness Project is a free library of stories—containing short documentaries, photo essays, and essays—that each contain a companion lesson plan and learning activities for students so they can expand their experience of the world.
BASE particle physicists have discovered a very precise way to examine antimatter.
Thank your lucky stars you’re alive. It’s truly a miracle of nature. This has nothing to do with spirituality or religion and everything to do with science. Life itself may not be the miracle. Although we haven’t found it elsewhere yet, our galaxy alone is so replete with Earth-like planets that, mathematically speaking, one of them must hold life, even if it’s just the microbial variety. Intelligent life may be another matter.
Just before I turned 60, I discovered that sharing my story by drawing could be an effective way to both alleviate my symptoms and combat that stigma.
I've lived much of my life with anxiety and depression, including the negative feelings – shame and self-doubt – that seduced me into believing the stigma around mental illness: that people knew I wasn't good enough; that they would avoid me because I was different or unstable; and that I had to find a way to make them like me.
A joint study by two England universities explores the link between sex and cognitive function with some surprising differences in male and female outcomes in old age.
- A joint study by the universities of Coventry and Oxford in England has linked sexual activity with higher cognitive abilities in older age.
- The results of this study suggest there are significant associations between sexual activity and number sequencing/word recall in men. In women, however, there was a significant association between sexual activity in word recall alone - number sequencing was not impacted.
- The differences in testosterone (the male sex hormone) and oxytocin (a predominantly female hormone) may factor into why the male cognitive level changes much more during sexual activity in older age.
Mathematicians studied 100 billion tweets to help computer algorithms better understand our colloquial digital communication.