When the Blind Can See
Neuroscientists believe they have located the part of the brain that allows some blind people to process visual information to sense the presence of objects without seeing them.
Neuroscientists believe they have located the part of the brain that allows some blind people to process visual information to sense the presence of objects without seeing them. "Some blind people have the remarkable ability to navigate physical obstacles without consciously perceiving them. It now looks like they have their lateral geniculate nucleus — part of the thalamus in the middle of the brain — to thank for this 'blindsight'. That's according to a team at the US National Institute of Mental Health in Bethesda, Maryland. They used macaques in which the primary visual cortex had been destroyed. The monkeys' eye-focusing movements revealed that they were 'seeing' images shown at the periphery of their visual field, but only if their LGN was intact."
Research in plant neurobiology shows that plants have senses, intelligence and emotions.
- The field of plant neurobiology studies the complex behavior of plants.
- Plants were found to have 15-20 senses, including many like humans.
- Some argue that plants may have awareness and intelligence, while detractors persist.
E-cigarettes may be safer than traditional cigarettes, but they come with their own risks.
- A new study used an MRI machine to examine how vaping e-cigarettes affects users' cardiovascular systems immediately after inhalation.
- The results showed that vaping causes impaired circulation, stiffer arteries and less oxygen in their blood.
- The new study adds to a growing body of research showing that e-cigarettes – while likely safer than traditional cigarettes – are far from harmless.
- In nature, properties of Particle B may be depend on what we choose to measure or manipulate with Particle A, even at great distances.