When Jesus Was a Dinosaur Cowboy
The prevailing belief in Glen Rose, Texas, is that humans and dinosaurs walked the Earth together, though archaeologists say the species lived 60 million years apart.
What's the Latest Development?
The prevailing belief in Glen Rose, Texas, is that humans and dinosaurs walked the Earth together, though archaeologists say the species lived 60 million years apart. "The small town about 40 miles southwest of Fort Worth is home to some of the best-preserved dinosaur tracks in the world; it’s also a heavily Christian community where many locals interpret the book of Genesis literally." Residence point to pock marks the size of human footprints in the same riverbed where dinosaur fossils have been found. Some of the fossils are on display at the town's Creation Evidence Museum.
What's the Big Idea?
Beyond a literal interpretation of the Book of Genesis, there seem to be strong economic and cultural motives behind the belief system in Glen Rose. Although the town has but 2,000 residents, its tourist industry brings in $23 million in annual revenue, attracting both the scientifically minded and those seeking to confirm their religious beliefs. Mary Adams, the niece of George Adams, who first found the dinosaur tracks more than a century ago, warns against believing in evolution: "If we were not created by God," the 87-year-old Adams said, "there’s no one to whom we are accountable. We can live exactly as we please."
Photo credit: Shutterstock.com
- Patients from low-income neighborhoods are most at risk of negative health impacts.
- Unfortunately, many disparate factors are erasing the traditional Bajau way of life.
We explore the history of blood types and how they are classified to find out what makes the Rh-null type important to science and dangerous for those who live with it.
- Fewer than 50 people worldwide have 'golden blood' — or Rh-null.
- Blood is considered Rh-null if it lacks all of the 61 possible antigens in the Rh system.
- It's also very dangerous to live with this blood type, as so few people have it.
An innovation may lead to lifelike evolving machines.
- Scientists at Cornell University devise a material with 3 key traits of life.
- The goal for the researchers is not to create life but lifelike machines.
- The researchers were able to program metabolism into the material's DNA.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.