When Jesus Was a Dinosaur Cowboy
The prevailing belief in Glen Rose, Texas, is that humans and dinosaurs walked the Earth together, though archaeologists say the species lived 60 million years apart.
What's the Latest Development?
The prevailing belief in Glen Rose, Texas, is that humans and dinosaurs walked the Earth together, though archaeologists say the species lived 60 million years apart. "The small town about 40 miles southwest of Fort Worth is home to some of the best-preserved dinosaur tracks in the world; it’s also a heavily Christian community where many locals interpret the book of Genesis literally." Residence point to pock marks the size of human footprints in the same riverbed where dinosaur fossils have been found. Some of the fossils are on display at the town's Creation Evidence Museum.
What's the Big Idea?
Beyond a literal interpretation of the Book of Genesis, there seem to be strong economic and cultural motives behind the belief system in Glen Rose. Although the town has but 2,000 residents, its tourist industry brings in $23 million in annual revenue, attracting both the scientifically minded and those seeking to confirm their religious beliefs. Mary Adams, the niece of George Adams, who first found the dinosaur tracks more than a century ago, warns against believing in evolution: "If we were not created by God," the 87-year-old Adams said, "there’s no one to whom we are accountable. We can live exactly as we please."
Photo credit: Shutterstock.com
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
Upload your mind? Here's a reality check on the Singularity.
- Though computer engineers claim to know what human consciousness is, many neuroscientists say that we're nowhere close to understanding what it is, or its source.
- Scientists are currently trying to upload human minds to silicon chips, or re-create consciousness with algorithms, but this may be hubristic because we still know so little about what it means to be human.
- Is transhumanism a journey forward or an escape from reality?
The Harvard psychologist loves reading authors' rules for writing. Here are his own.
- Steven Pinker is many things: linguist, psychologist, optimist, Harvard professor, and author.
- When it comes to writing, he's a student and a teacher.
- Here's are his 13 rules for writing better, more simply, and more clearly.
A completely unexpected discovery beneath the ice.
- Scientists find remains of a tardigrade and crustaceans in a deep, frozen Antarctic lake.
- The creatures' origin is unknown, and further study is ongoing.
- Biology speaks up about Antarctica's history.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.