What's the World's Best Film Festival?
Competition among international film festivals is heating up, with Sundance lending its name to a new festival in London. What festivals cater to your kinds of films (and celebrities)?
What's the Latest Development?
From indie Sundance to chic Cannes, the world's best film festivals are continually on the move, looking for iterations of art and culture that diverge from the norm while expressing identifiable truths. Long the heart and soul of American indie aspirations, Sundance will open shop in London this year, similar to how New York's Tribeca film festival has lent its name to the Doha, Qatar, since 2009. The Guardian gives a whirlwind assessment of which festivals are on the rise, which cater to the films you like best, and which nurse contenders for the year's biggest prizes.
What's the Big Idea?
Because it takes place in January, Sundance gets an early start on the year's freshest films, though that means its picks must sustain 13 months of buzz to win an Oscar. The Berlin festival strips down the celebrity, says the Guardian, offering the best of art house cinema without the distractions. "Not long ago, Venice vied with Cannes to be Europe's most glamorous, buzzy film event, but a quirk in the calendar has seen its status erode. Toronto, with its audience of Hollywood power-players, tends to get the big autumn premieres and awards contenders."
Photo credit: Shutterstock.com
Both schizophrenics and people with a common personality type share similar brain patterns.
- A new study shows that people with a common personality type share brain activity with patients diagnosed with schizophrenia.
- The study gives insight into how the brain activity associated with mental illnesses relates to brain activity in healthy individuals.
- This finding not only improves our understanding of how the brain works but may one day be applied to treatments.
It's a development that could one day lead to much better treatments for osteoporosis, joint damage, and bone fractures.
- Scientists have isolated skeletal stem cells in adult and fetal bones for the first time.
- These cells could one day help treat damaged bone and cartilage.
- The team was able to grow skeletal stem cells from cells found within liposuctioned fat.
Gut bacteria play an important role in how you feel and think and how well your body fights off disease. New research shows that exercise can give your gut bacteria a boost.
- Two studies from the University of Illinois show that gut bacteria can be changed by exercise alone.
- Our understanding of how gut bacteria impacts our overall health is an emerging field, and this research sheds light on the many different ways exercise affects your body.
- Exercising to improve your gut bacteria will prevent diseases and encourage brain health.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.