What If Taxes Were Voluntary?
"Voluntary taxes offer a politically palatable way to raise additional revenue and perhaps even to strengthen Americans’ sense of patriotism and citizenship." Pony up, says The Boston Globe.
"Voluntary taxes offer a politically palatable way to raise additional revenue and perhaps even to strengthen Americans’ sense of patriotism and citizenship." Pony up, says The Boston Globe. Amidst the economic slump, raising taxes is a political death knell, but this could be solved, in part, if the government were more aggressive in promoting itself. Being more transparent by clearly defining government agencies and their goals would attract donors who usually give to private charities. "Realistically, any upswing in voluntary taxes is likely to be modest. But even a small change...could subtly reshape our conception of government and the citizen’s role," says The Globe.
Malcolm Gladwell teaches "Get over yourself and get to work" for Big Think Edge.
- Learn to recognize failure and know the big difference between panicking and choking.
- At Big Think Edge, Malcolm Gladwell teaches how to check your inner critic and get clear on what failure is.
It's one of the most consistent patterns in the unviverse. What causes it?
- At a glance, this map shows both the size and distribution of world religions.
- See how religions mix at both national and regional level.
- There's one country in the Americas without a Christian majority – which?
Do you have a magnetic compass in your head?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.