Wes Anderson's Unique Cinematic World Relies on Collaboration
Critics say film director Wes Anderson has created the most distinct and identifiable cinematic world since Alfred Hitchcock. Anderson says its a team effort, led by long script-writing discussions.
What's the Latest Development?
When Wes Anderson's newest film, Moonrise Kingdom, opened the Cannes Film Festival this year, it was perhaps a fitting tribute to a director whose interest in the French film tradition runs deep. "I can't imagine a greater honor," he said. "Or a more stressful way to open a movie." Anderson, who prefers to write and direct his own scripts while steering clear of large Hollywood productions, is the American director who most exemplifies the French auteur tradition and has created the most consistent and identifiable cinematic world since Alfred Hitchcock.
What's the Big Idea?
While Anderson's cinematic vision is unmistakable, it is not the work of a lone wolf. His first film, Bottle Rocket, was written with Owen Wilson while the two were still in college and Anderson's passion for collaboration has not dampened since. "Right now I am writing a script on my own, but I talk to a collaborator for an hour a day," said Anderson. "And then I go write. These discussions are absolutely necessary. At this point I could just finish the thing. But getting it going, getting it figured out—I usually need help." Anderson relies on the team of people around him to keep him from making mistakes.
Photo credit: cinemafestival/Shutterstock.com
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
This economy has us in survival mode, stressing out our bodies and minds.
- Economic hardship is linked to physical and psychological illness, resulting in added healthcare expenses people can't afford.
- The gig economy – think Uber, Lyft, TaskRabbit, Handy – is marketed as a 'be your own boss' revolution, but it can be dehumanizing and dangerous; every worker is disposable.
- The cooperative business model can help reverse wealth inequality.
Meanwhile, Spaniards are the least likely to say their culture is superior to others.
- Survey by Pew Research Center shows great variation in chauvinism across Europe.
- Eight most chauvinist countries are in the east, and include Russia.
- British much more likely than French (and slightly more likely than Germans) to say their culture is "superior" to others.
A new study explores how certain personality traits affect individuals' attitudes on obesity in others.
- The study compared personality traits and obesity views among more than 3,000 mothers.
- The results showed that the personality traits neuroticism and extraversion are linked to more negative views and behaviors related to obesity.
- People who scored high in conscientiousness are more likely to experience "fat phobia.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.