Weathering Bad Times Together
Sometime during the next couple of years, there will likely be a fundamental shift (which) could lead to food and water shortages — and test our personal and community preparedness.
You must not face the future alone. Find your own "reality support group". Resolve to deepen your relationships with people around you with whom you can face what’s coming down the pike. Sometime during the next couple of years, there will likely be a fundamental shift. It might be another economic meltdown...or a shock to the economy thanks to a rapid spike in energy costs. It could be a series of extreme weather events that result in flooding, drought, or unprecedented heat waves. These changes could lead to food and water shortages — and test our personal and community preparedness in new ways.
Malcolm Gladwell teaches "Get over yourself and get to work" for Big Think Edge.
- Learn to recognize failure and know the big difference between panicking and choking.
- At Big Think Edge, Malcolm Gladwell teaches how to check your inner critic and get clear on what failure is.
We take fewer mental pictures per second.
- Recent memories run in our brains like sped-up old movies.
- In childhood, we capture images in our memory much more quickly.
- The complexities of grownup neural pathways are no match for the direct routes of young brains.
It's not just a case of "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger."
- A new study suggests children who endure trauma grow up to be adults with more empathy than others.
- The effect is not universal, however. Only one kind of empathy was greatly effected.
It's one of the most consistent patterns in the unviverse. What causes it?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.