We See You, Super PACs
A new iPhone app allows Americans a clear window into the operations and rationale behind the Super PACs that are currently blanketing television's airwaves with campaign ads.
Article written by guest writer Kecia Lynn
What's the Latest Development?
Just in time for election season comes the Super PAC App, which gives iPhone users a way to find out who they have to thank for a particular political ad happening within their earshot. The free app, conceived as part of a class at the MIT Media Lab, works by using audio recognition technology to identify, and then display, detailed data about the Super PAC responsible for the ad. Some of the information revealed by the app includes the amount of money spent and the "truthiness" of the claims being made.
What's the Big Idea?
Writer Adriana Lopez says, "To date over $300 million has already been contributed to nearly 800 Super PACs...[and] a majority of the money raised will be spent on television advertisements, specifically in swing states." The Super PAC App is funded by a grant from the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation, which is spearheading a larger initiative to improve transparency and increase Americans' knowledge about the political process. The app's designers hope to extend the app for use in other countries' elections as well.
Photo Credit: Shutterstock.com
Pfizer's partnerships strengthen their ability to deliver vaccines in developing countries.
- Community healthcare workers face many challenges in their work, including often traveling far distances to see their clients
- Pfizer is helping to drive the UN's sustainable development goals through partnerships.
- Pfizer partnered with AMP and the World Health Organization to develop a training program for healthcare workers.
A little goes a long way.
- A recent study from the Department of Health and Human Services found that 80 percent of Americans don't exercise enough.
- Small breaks from work add up, causing experts to recommend short doses of movement rather than waiting to do longer workouts.
- Rethinking what exercise is can help you frame how you move throughout your day.
Progressive America would be half as big, but twice as populated as its conservative twin.
- America's two political tribes have consolidated into 'red' and 'blue' nations, with seemingly irreconcilable differences.
- Perhaps the best way to stop the infighting is to go for a divorce and give the two nations a country each
- Based on the UN's partition plan for Israel/Palestine, this proposal provides territorial contiguity and sea access to both 'red' and 'blue' America
The best-selling author tells us his methods.
- James Patterson has sold 300 million copies of his 130 books, making him one of the most successful authors alive today.
- He talks about how some writers can overdo it by adding too much research, or worse, straying from their outline for too long.
- James' latest book, The President is Missing, co-written with former President Bill Clinton, is out now.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.