Was the Market Crash Men's Fault?
Is it a coincidence that the Wall Street bankers responsible for the market crash were men, or do aggressive risk-taking strategies befall the male gender more naturally?
Is the emblematic bull statue on Wall Street a talisman of irrational masculinity? "Clearly, bankers and regulators operating in this overconfident environment were not sufficiently aware of their irrationality. But since these traits are so masculine, would we have avoided a crisis if mostly women were at the top? Despite increased awareness about the influence of irrationality and emotions in economic behavior, it would, however, be too soon to rule out risky masculine decision-making in the financial sector. Bankers aren't suddenly doing deep soul-searching; entrenched habits and cultures are difficult to change."
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
Even some teachers suffer from anxiety about math.
I teach people how to teach math, and I've been working in this field for 30 years. Across those decades, I've met many people who suffer from varying degrees of math trauma – a form of debilitating mental shutdown when it comes to doing mathematics.
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
The legacy of Felix Dzerzhinsky, who led Soviet secret police in the "Red Terror," still confounds Russia.
- Felix Dzerzhinsky led the Cheka, Soviet Union's first secret police.
- The Cheka was infamous for executing thousands during the Red Terror of 1918.
- The Cheka later became the KGB, the spy organization where Russia's President Putin served for years.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.