Walmart Goes for Local Produce
A famously global company, Walmat is going local by selling produce grown at regional farms. The sustainable business strategy is aimed at the company's bottom line.
Three years ago, Walmart realized that there was an opportunity to cut costs and carbon emissions and empower more small farmers by sourcing more peppers closer to our stores. We realized that in almost every state where we have distribution centers—regional warehouses that take in shipments from around the world and distribute them to individual stores—there is a growing season that is right for jalapeños. In some cases, the farms were practically right down the street! We went to farmers who were already growing produce for us and encouraged them to try growing jalapeño peppers.
The ability to speak clearly, succinctly, and powerfully is easier than you think
The ability to communicate effectively can make or break a person's assessment of your intelligence, competence, and authenticity.
The results come from a 15-year study that used ultrasound scans to track blood vessels in middle-aged adults starting in 2002.
- The study measured the stiffness of blood vessels in middle-aged patients over time.
- Stiff blood vessels can lead to the destruction of delicate blood vessels in the brain, which can contribute to cognitive decline.
- The scans could someday become a widely used tool to identify people at high risk of developing dementia and Alzheimer's.
Journalism got a big wake up call in 2016. Can we be optimistic about the future of media?
- "[T]o have a democracy that thrives and actually that manages to stay alive at all, you need regular citizens being able to get good, solid information," says Craig Newmark.
- The only constructive way to deal with fake news? Support trustworthy media. In 2018, Newmark was announced as a major donor of two new media organizations, The City, which will report on New York City-area stories which may have otherwise gone unreported, and The Markup, which will report on technology.
- Greater transparency of fact-checking within media organizations could help confront and correct fake news. Organizations already exist to make media more trustworthy — are we using them? There's The Trust Project, International Fact-Checkers Network, and Tech & Check.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.