Using Social Media the Right Way
Martin Belam's account of the BBC's Social Media Summit, including hostile questions over Al Jazeera's role in the Arab spring uprisings and why the NYT has social media right.
What's the Latest Development?
The BBC's recent Social Media Summit has many talking, including Martin Belam, who blogs on some of the more interesting aspects. These include social media research showing that whilst time spent on news sites is staying relatively static, that spent on social media destinations is rapidly increasing. He was also impressed by Al Jazeera's Esra Dogramaci, in her response to "hostile questioning" over the station’s role in the Arab spring uprisings.
What's the Big Idea?
Belam was also interested in Liz Heron's take on social media use by the New York Times. "She also made the excellent point that journalists seem to have found a natural home on Twitter, which makes it easy sometimes for our social media strategies to ignore the much bigger potential reach and wider engagement on Facebook."
Upstreamism advocate Rishi Manchanda calls us to understand health not as a "personal responsibility" but a "common good."
- Upstreamism tasks health care professionals to combat unhealthy social and cultural influences that exist outside — or upstream — of medical facilities.
- Patients from low-income neighborhoods are most at risk of negative health impacts.
- Thankfully, health care professionals are not alone. Upstreamism is increasingly part of our cultural consciousness.
- Oumuamua, a quarter-mile long asteroid tumbling through space, is Hawaiian for "scout", or "the first of many".
- It was given this name because it came from another solar system.
- Some claimed 'Oumuamua was an alien technology, but there's no actual evidence for that.
America isn't immune to attempts to remove books from libraries and schools, here are ten frequent targets and why you ought to go check them out.
- Even in America, books are frequently challenged and removed from schools and public libraries.
- Every year, the American Library Association puts on Banned Books Week to draw attention to this fact.
- Some of the books they include on their list of most frequently challenged are some of the greatest, most beloved, and entertaining books there are.
Upvote the video, or videos, you want to win.
As you vote, keep in mind that we are looking for a winner with the most engaging social venture pitch - an idea you would want to invest in. And note: We'll only count upvotes (not downvotes).
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.