Using Lasers to Study Proteins
Researchers have come up with a simple, low-cost way of studying cellular proteins using a laser. The method may help to develop new drugs intended to treat disease in humans.
Many drugs used to treat diseases function by communicating with proteins located in the outer walls of our cells that in turn communicate instructions to the cell itself. Studying these proteins, however, is difficult because isolating them usually impairs their functioning. A method of study using lasers, however, may make the process easier. "Their process is called back-scattering interferometry (B.S.I.). The sample is deposited into a microscopic liquid-filled chamber made of glass and is then illuminated by a laser. Light reflected from it forms an interference pattern that can be captured by a camera."
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
Is it "perverseness," the "death drive," or something else?
A growing body of research shows promising signs that the keto diet might be able to improve mental health.
- The keto diet is known to be an effective tool for weight loss, however its effects on mental health remain largely unclear.
- Recent studies suggests that the keto diet might be an effective tool for treating depression, and clearing up so-called "brain fog," though scientists caution more research is necessary before it can be recommended as a treatment.
- Any experiments with the keto diet are best done in conjunction with a doctor, considering some people face problems when transitioning to the low-carb diet.
It's up to us humans to re-humanize our world. An economy that prioritizes growth and profits over humanity has led to digital platforms that "strip the topsoil" of human behavior, whole industries, and the planet, giving less and less back. And only we can save us.
- It's an all-hands-on-deck moment in the arc of civilization.
- Everyone has a choice: Do you want to try to earn enough money to insulate yourself from the world you're creating— or do you want to make the world a place you don't have to insulate yourself from?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.