U.S. Must Find Alternative Vehicle Fuel
Renewable energies like solar and wind should not be the government's top energy priority, says the Department of Energy. The nation must reduce its dependence on foreign oil.
What's the Latest Development?
In a new report, the Department of Energy says more of the nation's resources should be devoted to finding an alternative to the foreign oil that powers the nation's vehicles. While developing renewable sources for electricity is important, such as wind and solar, the biggest threat to national security and America's largest contribution to climate change is the gasoline in our cars. And in the quest to replace oil, work on electric vehicles should be prioritized over alternative fuels, the study said.
What's the Big Idea?
That the United States continues to lack a coherent national energy strategy will hopefully be offset by unexpected advances in the private sector. Already 90 percent of the energy industry is owned privately, so the government sees its role as "convening the various interested parties to encourage agreements and provide technical information." And while the Congress continues to invest in fuel cell technologies, the President's energy adviser, Steven Chu, says hybrid electric vehicles, plug-in hybrids and pure electric vehicles are better bets.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
It's up to us humans to re-humanize our world. An economy that prioritizes growth and profits over humanity has led to digital platforms that "strip the topsoil" of human behavior, whole industries, and the planet, giving less and less back. And only we can save us.
- It's an all-hands-on-deck moment in the arc of civilization.
- Everyone has a choice: Do you want to try to earn enough money to insulate yourself from the world you're creating— or do you want to make the world a place you don't have to insulate yourself from?
Eight-dimensional octonions may hold the clues to solve fundamental mysteries.
- Physicists discover complex numbers called octonions that work in 8 dimensions.
- The numbers have been found linked to fundamental forces of reality.
- Understanding octonions can lead to a new model of physics.
Upload your mind? Here's a reality check on the Singularity.
- Though computer engineers claim to know what human consciousness is, many neuroscientists say that we're nowhere close to understanding what it is, or its source.
- Scientists are currently trying to upload human minds to silicon chips, or re-create consciousness with algorithms, but this may be hubristic because we still know so little about what it means to be human.
- Is transhumanism a journey forward or an escape from reality?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.