US-Mexico Trade: Very Much A Two-Way Street
While immigration and drug wars dominate US news about Mexico, some experts believe more focus should be placed on the increases in trade flow and business integration between the two countries.
Article written by guest writer Kecia Lynn
What's the Latest Development?
US-made goods, and the big-box stores that sell them, such as Wal-Mart and Costco, are becoming extremely popular with Mexico's growing middle class. This sales is helping to make Mexico a serious contender with Canada for the title of the US' second-largest trading partner. And it's not just one-sided: Since the passage of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) in 1994, US-Mexico trade has increased significantly, with Mexican exports jumping up to $263 billion in 2011.
What's the Big Idea?
Mexican and US companies work together in various industries, including aerospace and auto parts manufacturing. The mix of parts and labor between the two countries is much greater as well, due partially to simple proximity. Also, according to a consulting group, "about 6 million US jobs depend on trade with Mexico," with states such as Texas and Iowa exporting millions of dollars' worth of items. The success of this business relationship has some experts thinking that the US should take some of its focus off China's growth and pay more attention to Mexico's, for the benefit of both countries. One expert says plainly, "The better off Mexico is, the better off we are."
Photo Credit: Shutterstock.com
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
A growing body of research shows promising signs that the keto diet might be able to improve mental health.
- The keto diet is known to be an effective tool for weight loss, however its effects on mental health remain largely unclear.
- Recent studies suggests that the keto diet might be an effective tool for treating depression, and clearing up so-called "brain fog," though scientists caution more research is necessary before it can be recommended as a treatment.
- Any experiments with the keto diet are best done in conjunction with a doctor, considering some people face problems when transitioning to the low-carb diet.
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
Thinking your life is worthwhile is correlated with a variety of positive outcomes.
- A new study finds that adults who feel their lives are meaningful have better health and life outcomes.
- Adults who felt their lives were worthwhile tended to be more social and had healthier habits.
- The findings could be used to help improve the health of older adults.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.