Toppling Credit Rating Corruption
European politicians are blaming the escalation of the euro crisis on American credit rating agencies. Some are supporting a German initiative to establish a rival European agency.
What's the Latest Development?
A German management consultant, Markus Krall, is gaining support for his idea to create a European credit rating agency to rival Moody's, Standard & Poor's and Fitch. The three U.S.-based agencies are being blamed for the euro crisis in some political and economic circles. "The campaign had gotten off to a slow start. But ironically, now that Europe is sinking more deeply into debt, Krall's venture is gradually gaining momentum. 'There is a very good chance that the idea is about to take off,' he says."
What's the Big Idea?
Not everyone is on board, however, with the idea of creating a distinctly European credit rating agency. "For years, the U.S. agencies collected their fees from the same banks, investment funds and insurance companies whose securities they rated. As a result, they were very lax in rating the companies that were paying them, vastly underestimating the risks associated with US mortgage-backed securities. ... But a European agency would hardly be less exposed to conflicts of interest."
- The meaning of the word 'confidence' seems obvious. But it's not the same as self-esteem.
- Confidence isn't just a feeling on your inside. It comes from taking action in the world.
- Join Big Think Edge today and learn how to achieve more confidence when and where it really matters.
- Economist Sylvia Ann Hewlett breaks down what qualities will inspire others to believe in you.
- Here's how 300 leaders and 4,000 mid-level managers described someone with executive presence.
- Get more deep insights like these to power your career forward. Join Big Think Edge.
- Patients from low-income neighborhoods are most at risk of negative health impacts.
It marks a major shift in the government's battle against the opioid crisis.
- It marks the first time a drug company has faced criminal charges for distributing opioids.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.