Top Ten Conspiracy Theories
From commercial airplanes whose exhaust trails are secret experiments in weather control to the New Jewish World Order behind the Federal Reserve, everyone is out to get the paranoid Right.
From commercial airplanes whose exhaust trails are secret experiments in weather control to the New Jewish World Order behind the Federal Reserve, everyone is out to get the paranoid Right. "Over the last two decades, a far-right conspiracy culture of self-proclaimed 'Patriots' has emerged in which the United States government itself is viewed as a mortal threat," says an article from Intelligence Report Magazine. "Few Internet-age antigovernment conspiracies have spread as quickly or as widely as the idea of 'chemtrails': the belief that air and water vapor contrails that form in the wake of high-altitude aircraft are really clouds of toxic soup being deliberately sprayed by hundreds, if not thousands, of secret government planes executing the designs of the New World Order."
Lumina Foundation is partnering with Big Think to unearth the next large-scale, rapid innovation in post-high school education. Enter the competition here!
Butter supply and life satisfaction are linked – but by causation or correlation?
- Haiti and other countries with low butter supply report low life satisfaction.
- The reverse is true for countries like Germany, which score high in both categories.
- As the graph below shows, a curious pattern emerges across the globe. But is it causation or correlation?
Advances in satellite imagery are shining a light.
- Today, there are 40.3 million slaves on the planet, more than the number of people living in Canada.
- Slavery can be hard to find, but it commonly occurs in several key industries like fishing and mining.
- Using satellite data, researchers and activists are using crowdsourcing and artificial intelligence to identify sites where slavery is taking place.
The catacombs of Paris. Secret graffiti beneath NYC. The hidden cities of Cappadocia. Writer and explorer Will Hunt is your philosophical tour guide to what lies beneath.
- "The surface of the earth is where we're rational . . . Part of us dreads the chaos, and part of us is always attracted to it."
- "There were these things hanging from the ceiling…long strands of bacteria called "snotsicles"… But at our feet was a natural stream that had been running through Brooklyn forever."
- "It's…about death. Undergoing a death. We're going into the other world and then retreating to the surface… changed in some way."
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.