Tofu and Hash Browns: How to Make Breakfast on Mars
NASA expects a manned mission to Mars to take place in the 2030s but before that happens, researchers are hard at work to find a better meal plan for astronauts.
What's the Latest?
NASA expects a manned mission to Mars to take place in the 2030s but before that happens, researchers are hard at work to find a better meal plan for astronauts. During the six-month trip required to reach the Red Planet, what nutritionists call "food boredom" could set in, meaning that astronauts would eat less because of their bland meal plans. The result would be weight loss and malnutrition, increasing the likelihood of mission failure. So what's the key? NASA says the most difficult meal to cook in space is stir fry since it requires hot oil to be frequently agitated. Experiments on low-gravity cooking have shown that oil splatters further, more frequently, and in larger drops than in terrestrial kitchens.
What's the Big Idea?
Once we've arrived on Mars, physicist Michio Kaku has a plan to terraform the planet, making it habitable for plant and animal life. Rather than truck lots of hardware from Earth, which would be very costly, astronauts could take advantage of the Red Planet's natural resources:
Read more at Fast Company
Photo credit: Shutterstock
Pfizer's partnerships strengthen their ability to deliver vaccines in developing countries.
- Community healthcare workers face many challenges in their work, including often traveling far distances to see their clients
- Pfizer is helping to drive the UN's sustainable development goals through partnerships.
- Pfizer partnered with AMP and the World Health Organization to develop a training program for healthcare workers.
The controversy around the Torah codes gets a new life.
- Mathematicians claim to see a predictive pattern in the ancient Torah texts.
- The code is revealed by a method found with special computer software.
- Some events described by reading the code took place after the code was written.
A glass of juice has as much sugar, ounce for ounce, as a full-calorie soda. And those vitamins do almost nothing.
Quick: think back to childhood (if you've reached the scary clown you've gone too far). What did your parents or guardians give you to keep you quiet? If you're anything like most parents, it was juice. But here's the thing: juice is bad for you.
Orangutans join humans and bees in a very exclusive club
- Orangutan mothers wait to sound a danger alarm to avoid tipping off predators to their location
- It took a couple of researchers crawling around the Sumatran jungle to discover the phenomenon
- This ability may come from a common ancestor
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.