To Cure Cancer, Industrialize Genome Research
The state of Texas has created a $3 billion fund to pay for a new cancer research initiative. By building on the International Cancer Genome Consortium, it aims to cure five kinds of cancer.
What's the Latest Development?
A new cancer center in Houston, Texas, is ready to spend $3 billion to scale new research methods in hopes of finding the cause of five yet-to-be-determined cancers. The lead researcher of the MD Anderson Cancer Center, Dr. Ron Depinho, says that by using genetically modified mice, genetic mutations that appear in humans can be recreated one at a time to better understand how cancer forms. "If this process can be scaled up it will, as he puts it, allow cancer's genetic generals to be distinguished from the foot soldiers."
What's the Big Idea?
The Center will spend taxpayer dollars as well as accept donations from wealthy donors like Texas' own T. Boone Pickens and Ross Perot. The research itself will build on the work of the International Cancer Genome Consortium which involves 39 projects in four continents and uses high-throughput DNA-sequencing to examine 50 sorts of tumor. Dr. Depinho's main purpose is to translate this research into treatment for cancer patients by 'industrializing' aspects of genomic and biological research.
Photo credit: shutterstock.com
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
A growing body of research shows promising signs that the keto diet might be able to improve mental health.
- The keto diet is known to be an effective tool for weight loss, however its effects on mental health remain largely unclear.
- Recent studies suggests that the keto diet might be an effective tool for treating depression, and clearing up so-called "brain fog," though scientists caution more research is necessary before it can be recommended as a treatment.
- Any experiments with the keto diet are best done in conjunction with a doctor, considering some people face problems when transitioning to the low-carb diet.
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
Thinking your life is worthwhile is correlated with a variety of positive outcomes.
- A new study finds that adults who feel their lives are meaningful have better health and life outcomes.
- Adults who felt their lives were worthwhile tended to be more social and had healthier habits.
- The findings could be used to help improve the health of older adults.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.