This App Can Put Your Dreams Into The Global Cloud
And by "dreams" they're talking about the ones you have when you sleep: SHADOW provides tools to help users remember, record, and, if desired, share their dreams.
What's the Latest Development?
A team of developers wants to "[pick] up where Freud and Jung left off" by taking a crowdsourcing approach: Its SHADOW app contains tools designed to help users remember and record their dreams and, ideally, put those recordings into the cloud, where they will become part of a global collective dream journal. The app is currently available only by invitation, but the team has launched a Kickstarter campaign to raise funds to help increase its spread. Donors can choose which smartphone OS to pledge towards; the one that gets the most cash will be developed first.
What's the Big Idea?
Most of us dream while sleeping, and most of us tend to forget those dreams when we wake up. SHADOW founder and innovation strategist hunter lee soik (who prefers lower-case letters for his name) says the amounts of potential data collected by the app could prove very useful to scientists who work in the field of dream research. "Could you imagine what would have happened if [Freud or Jung] had this technology then? I think we'll be able to move very fast, using the foundation they laid and actually testing the theories with large groups of people, not just one-at-a-time patients coming to the office."
Photo Credit: Shutterstock.com
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
How you talk to people with drug addiction might save their life.
- Addiction is a learning disorder; it's not a sign that someone is a bad person.
- Tough love doesn't help drug-addicted people. Research shows that the best way to get people help is through compassion, empathy and support. Approach them as an equal human being deserving of respect.
- As a first step to recovery, Maia Szalavitz recommends the family or friends of people with addiction get them a complete psychiatric evaluation by somebody who is not affiliated with any treatment organization. Unfortunately, warns Szalavitz, some people will try to make a profit off of an addicted person without informing them of their full options.
Groundbreaking neuroscience confirms what Sigmund Freud first theorized.
China's Chang'e 4 biosphere experiment marks a first for humankind.
- China's Chang'e 4 lunar lander touched down on the far side of the moon on January 3.
- In addition to a lunar rover, the lander carried a biosphere experiment that contains five sets of plants and some insects.
- The experiment is designed to test how astronauts might someday grow plants in space to sustain long-term settlements.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.