The Tyranny of Beauty
Meghan Daum opines on beauty amid a new book on workplace discrimination against the "unattractive" and a lawsuit by a woman claiming she was fired for being too attractive.
Meghan Daum opines on beauty amid a new book on workplace discrimination against the "unattractive" and a lawsuit by a woman claiming she was fired for being too attractive. For Daum, more distracting and potentially bothersome than one with extraordinary looks is one obsessed with those looks. She laments the tyranny of "a beauty that's only as good as the latest spray-on tan and the last teeth-whitening session...the same brand of beauty that gets shoved down our throats every time we read about celebrities or watch a makeover show on TV, the kind that tells us that being hot is not only crucial but also a full-time job."
Upvote/downvote each of the videos below!
Having these financial life skills can help you navigate challenging economic environments.
- Americans are swimming in increasingly higher amounts of debt, even the upper middle class.
- Here's some essential financial life skills needed to ensure your economic wellbeing.
When it comes to flirting, love meters have nothing on these researchers' findings.
- Smiling and eye contact are proven winners, while pick-up lines are a flirty fallacy.
Experts argue the jaws of an ancient European ape reveal a key human ancestor.
- The jaw bones of an 8-million-year-old ape were discovered at Nikiti, Greece, in the '90s.
- These fossils may change how we view the evolution of our species.
Rethinking humanity's origin story
Migrating out of Africa
Did we head east or south of Eden?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.