The Truth About Adderall & Ritalin
No study has found any long-term benefit of attention-deficit medication on academic performance, peer relationships or behavior problems, the very things we would most want to improve.
What's the Latest Development?
Stimulant drugs like Ritalin and Adderall do not address the roots of the problems they claim to solve and claims about their effectiveness are based on bad science, says child psychologist L. Alan Sroufe. Since 1975, Sroufe has studied the development of hundreds of children to determine whether academic and behavioral problems were purely biological, i.e. born into the brain of infants, or the results of poor environments. His conclusion is that medicating children does not solve the deeper causes of their antisocial behavior.
What's the Big Idea?
Stimulants will be used to treat over three million children this year who have trouble focusing. According to Sroufe, dependency on these drugs, both in terms of a physical addiction and societal crutch, is unacceptable. There will never be, nor should there be, a single solution to problems facing so many children, he says. We must treat children as people, not as wrinkles that can be ironed out with a pill. Praising biochemical solutions to societal problems sets a bad precedent and keeps us from understanding complexities.
Photo credit: shutterstock.com
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
Is it "perverseness," the "death drive," or something else?
A growing body of research shows promising signs that the keto diet might be able to improve mental health.
- The keto diet is known to be an effective tool for weight loss, however its effects on mental health remain largely unclear.
- Recent studies suggests that the keto diet might be an effective tool for treating depression, and clearing up so-called "brain fog," though scientists caution more research is necessary before it can be recommended as a treatment.
- Any experiments with the keto diet are best done in conjunction with a doctor, considering some people face problems when transitioning to the low-carb diet.
It's up to us humans to re-humanize our world. An economy that prioritizes growth and profits over humanity has led to digital platforms that "strip the topsoil" of human behavior, whole industries, and the planet, giving less and less back. And only we can save us.
- It's an all-hands-on-deck moment in the arc of civilization.
- Everyone has a choice: Do you want to try to earn enough money to insulate yourself from the world you're creating— or do you want to make the world a place you don't have to insulate yourself from?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.