The Risks of Cloud Computing
Relying on the cloud is just so irresistibly efficient. No more printouts, bulky drives or e-mailing documents to myself. Yet it's terrifying to rely on technology more than my own memory, says Jen Wieczner.
Storing swaths of data beyond the physical realm entails certain risks, like losing everything at the whim of an administrator's errant keystroke. Jen Wieczner is wary of cloud computing: "So entrusting my memories and records to Google and Facebook feels like plugging in, a Matrix-like oneness as though I have a USB port in my brain. It feels like a trust fall, or maybe riding in a self-driving car. I'm not the type of sharer whose every move you can track in Facebook status updates or tweets, but I do keep extensive personal annals, a sort of digital scrapbook of my own."
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
Is it "perverseness," the "death drive," or something else?
A growing body of research shows promising signs that the keto diet might be able to improve mental health.
- The keto diet is known to be an effective tool for weight loss, however its effects on mental health remain largely unclear.
- Recent studies suggests that the keto diet might be an effective tool for treating depression, and clearing up so-called "brain fog," though scientists caution more research is necessary before it can be recommended as a treatment.
- Any experiments with the keto diet are best done in conjunction with a doctor, considering some people face problems when transitioning to the low-carb diet.
It's up to us humans to re-humanize our world. An economy that prioritizes growth and profits over humanity has led to digital platforms that "strip the topsoil" of human behavior, whole industries, and the planet, giving less and less back. And only we can save us.
- It's an all-hands-on-deck moment in the arc of civilization.
- Everyone has a choice: Do you want to try to earn enough money to insulate yourself from the world you're creating— or do you want to make the world a place you don't have to insulate yourself from?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.