The Next Global Crisis: Public Finance
After 2008’s banking crisis, the recession in 2009, perhaps the next phase of global economic turmoil will come from public finances. The problem is especially acute in top-heavy Europe.
Budget deficits, the depreciation of the Euro currency and high unemployment rates make the public finance situation in Europe especially difficult to control. "Spain recently had its rating downgraded by moody’s rating agency and Greece was downgraded deeper into junk status. Whilst perhaps the best approach would be that of a discriminating view on the continent, the complication is the use of a common currency. This takes away the flexibility in terms of what can be done to address some of the problems. Because of the use of the Euro as the common currency, the countries can no longer finance by printing money for instance or devaluing their currencies for competitiveness purposes."
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
A new study explores how certain personality traits affect individuals' attitudes on obesity in others.
- The study compared personality traits and obesity views among more than 3,000 mothers.
- The results showed that the personality traits neuroticism and extraversion are linked to more negative views and behaviors related to obesity.
- People who scored high in conscientiousness are more likely to experience "fat phobia.
The rise of anti-scientific thinking and conspiracy is a concerning trend.
- Fifty years later after one of the greatest achievements of mankind, there's a growing number of moon landing deniers. They are part of a larger trend of anti-scientific thinking.
- Climate change, anti-vaccination and other assorted conspiratorial mindsets are a detriment and show a tangible impediment to fostering real progress or societal change.
- All of these separate anti-scientific beliefs share a troubling root of intellectual dishonesty and ignorance.
The history of the Geneva Conventions tells us how the international community draws the line on brutality.
- Henry Dunant's work led to the Red Cross and conventions on treating prisoners humanely.
- Four Geneva Conventions defined the rules for prisoners of war, torture, naval and medical personnel and more.
- Amendments to the agreements reflect the modern world but have not been ratified by all countries.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.