The Next Economic Collapse Will Be Bigger
Nobel Laureate Paul Krugman reviews a new book on the history of overreach by American financial institutions and notes that each crash has been bigger than the last...
What's the Latest Development?
Reviewing Jeff Madrick's new book The Age of Greed, Paul Krugman says the nation's system of financial investment exists today largely as it did before the 2008 collapse of Lehman Brothers, et al. It has existed this way, without appropriate oversight, since the 1970s. And while our latest financial crisis has been billed as a freak accident, "it was, in fact, just the most recent installment in a recurrent pattern of financial overreach, taxpayer bailout, and subsequent Wall Street ingratitude. And all indications are that the pattern is set to continue."
What's the Big Idea?
There was not always a time when entire nations were put a risk because of financial investors' daring. After the Great Depression, financial regulation made banking safe and boring until the 1970s, when the industry began to get greedy and, lamentably, the government acquiesced. "What we have experienced is, in a very real sense, the triumph of Wall Street and the decline of America. ...even now we don’t seem to have learned the lesson that unregulated greed, especially in the financial sector, is destructive."
Orangutans join humans and bees in a very exclusive club
- Orangutan mothers wait to sound a danger alarm to avoid tipping off predators to their location
- It took a couple of researchers crawling around the Sumatran jungle to discover the phenomenon
- This ability may come from a common ancestor
In a breakthrough for nuclear fusion research, scientists at China's Experimental Advanced Superconducting Tokamak (EAST) reactor have produced temperatures necessary for nuclear fusion on Earth.
- The EAST reactor was able to heat hydrogen to temperatures exceeding 100 million degrees Celsius.
- Nuclear fusion could someday provide the planet with a virtually limitless supply of clean energy.
- Still, scientists have many other obstacles to pass before fusion technology becomes a viable energy source.
Journaling can help you materialize your ambitions.
- Organizing your thoughts can help you plan and achieve goals that might otherwise seen unobtainable.
- The Bullet Journal method, in particular, can reduce clutter in your life by helping you visualize your future.
- One way to view your journal might be less of a narrative and more of a timeline of decisions.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.