The Mysterious X Particle
Can the hypothetical X particle solve unanswered questions about the nature of matter: why is there more matter than antimatter, and where and what is dark matter?
Physics is still grappling with two basic questions about the nature of matter: why is there more matter than antimatter, and where and what is all the dark matter? Meet the hypothetical X particle, the potential answer to both questions. ... Physicist Hooman Davoudiasl and a team of colleagues from both the US and Canada have proposed a new particle that solves both mysteries in one fell swoop, as well as possessing a couple very intriguing properties. This hypothetical particle, dubbed the X particle, would have a mass about 1000 times that of a proton, and it would commonly decay into a smaller particle.
We're more dependent on them than we realize.
- Scientists says our survival depends on biodiversity.
- A natural climate strategy we often forget.
- Seeing our place among the Earth's living creatures.
There's a high social cost that comes with lighting up.
While short-term results are positive, there is mounting evidence against staying in ketosis for too long.
- Recent studies showed volunteers lost equal or more weight on high-carb, calorie-restricted diets than low-carb, calorie restricted diets.
- There might be positive benefits to short-term usage of a ketogenic diet.
- One dietician warns that the ketogenic diet could put diabetics at risk for diabetic ketoacidosis.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.