The Mysterious X Particle
Can the hypothetical X particle solve unanswered questions about the nature of matter: why is there more matter than antimatter, and where and what is dark matter?
Physics is still grappling with two basic questions about the nature of matter: why is there more matter than antimatter, and where and what is all the dark matter? Meet the hypothetical X particle, the potential answer to both questions. ... Physicist Hooman Davoudiasl and a team of colleagues from both the US and Canada have proposed a new particle that solves both mysteries in one fell swoop, as well as possessing a couple very intriguing properties. This hypothetical particle, dubbed the X particle, would have a mass about 1000 times that of a proton, and it would commonly decay into a smaller particle.
Firefighters in California are still struggling to contain several wildfires nearly one week after they broke out.
- Hundreds of people are still missing after three wildfires spread across Northern and Southern California last week.
- 48 of the 50 deaths occurred after the Camp Fire blazed through the town of Paradise, north of Sacramento.
- On Tuesday night, a fourth wildfire broke out, though it's mostly contained.
We know the dangers of too little sleep. Now for the other side of the story.
- Western University researchers found that sleeping over eight hours per night results in cognitive decline.
- Oversleepers suffer similar difficulties on certain cognitive tests as those who sleep under seven hours.
- Not all the news is bad: One night of oversleeping results in a cognitive boost.
Protected animals are feared to be headed for the black market.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.