The Humble CEO
Charismatic, forceful leaders have a tendency to produce volatile company performances, writes David Brooks. He imagines an alternate executive model: the "humble hound leader."
David Brooks points to research indicating that charismatic, forceful leaders with excessive self-confidence tend to produce volatile company performances. "These leaders swing for the home run and sometimes end up striking out." Instead, Brooks imagines another model of corporate leadership based on humility: the "humble hound leader," who is more thoughtful, deliberate and careful -- and spends a lot of time on metacognition. "If this leadership style were more widely admired, the country could have spared itself a ton of grief," writes Brooks.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
Thinking your life is worthwhile is correlated with a variety of positive outcomes.
- A new study finds that adults who feel their lives are meaningful have better health and life outcomes.
- Adults who felt their lives were worthwhile tended to be more social and had healthier habits.
- The findings could be used to help improve the health of older adults.
Even when they suffer costs in doing so.
- It's commonly thought that the suppression of female sexuality is perpetuated by either men or women.
- In a new study, researchers used economics games to observe how both genders treat sexually-available women.
- The results suggests that both sexes punish female promiscuity, though for different reasons and different levels of intensity.
Jeff Bezos, the founder of Amazon.com, explains his plan for success.
- Jeff Bezos had a clear vision for Amazon.com from the start.
- He was inspired by a statistic he learned while working at a hedge fund: In the '90s, web usage was growing at 2,300% a year.
- Bezos explains why books, in particular, make for a perfect item to sell on the internet.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.