The History of Smoking
"Anti-tobacco crusader Joe Califano on how cigarette culture has changed since the days of Don Draper." The Atlantic tells how the government changed positions on tobacco.
"Reached by telephone, Califano recalled that America's changing attitudes toward cigarettes began with the release of the first Surgeon General's report in 1964. The government's top health officials' definitive warning that 'Cigarette smoking is causally related to lung cancer' was considered such a bombshell that the top-secret report was released to reporters on a Saturday morning in a locked State Department auditorium. The report put one of the first nails in the coffin of this deadly habit--one that was tacitly acknowledged in a recent Mad Men episode dubbed "Blowing Smoke" and is highlighted on Mad Men's own AMC blog."
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
How you talk to people with drug addiction might save their life.
- Addiction is a learning disorder; it's not a sign that someone is a bad person.
- Tough love doesn't help drug-addicted people. Research shows that the best way to get people help is through compassion, empathy and support. Approach them as an equal human being deserving of respect.
- As a first step to recovery, Maia Szalavitz recommends the family or friends of people with addiction get them a complete psychiatric evaluation by somebody who is not affiliated with any treatment organization. Unfortunately, warns Szalavitz, some people will try to make a profit off of an addicted person without informing them of their full options.
Groundbreaking neuroscience confirms what Sigmund Freud first theorized.
China's Chang'e 4 biosphere experiment marks a first for humankind.
- China's Chang'e 4 lunar lander touched down on the far side of the moon on January 3.
- In addition to a lunar rover, the lander carried a biosphere experiment that contains five sets of plants and some insects.
- The experiment is designed to test how astronauts might someday grow plants in space to sustain long-term settlements.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.