The High Price of Cheap Fashion
Naomi Wolf likes shopping for clothes too, but she knows brutal labor conditions lurk behind each inexpensive blouse. She calls on Western women to be more aware of cheap fashion's true cost.
Naomi Wolf likes shopping for inexpensive fashion too, but she knows brutal labor conditions lurk behind each cheap blouse. She calls on Western women to be more aware of cheap fashion's true cost. How do retailers like Zara and H&M keep prices so low? "By starving and oppressing Bangladeshi, Chinese, Mexican, Haitian, and other women, that’s how," Wolf says. "We all know that cheap clothing is usually made in sweatshop conditions – and usually by women. And we know – or should know – that women in sweatshops around the world report being locked in and forbidden to use bathrooms for long periods, as well as sexual harassment, violent union-busting, and other forms of coercion."
We are constantly trying to force the world to look like us — we need to move on.
- When the Berlin Wall fell in 1989, many Americans jumped for joy. At the time, some believed there weren't going to be any more political disagreements anywhere in the world. They thought American democracy had won the "war of ideas."
- American exceptionalism has sought to create a world order that's really a mirror image of ourselves — a liberal world order founded on the DNA of American thinking. To many abroad this looks like ethnic chauvinism.
- We need to move on from this way of thinking, and consider that sometimes "problem-solving," in global affairs, means the world makes us look like how it wants to be.
Scientists make an important discovery for the future of computing.
- Researchers find a new state of matter called "topological superconductivity".
- The state can lead to important advancements in quantum computing.
- Utilizing special particles that emerge during this state can lead to error-free data storage and blazing calculation speed.
French newspapers report that the trial hasn't lived up to expectations.
- The French government initially invested in a rural solar roadway in 2016.
- French newspapers report that the trial hasn't lived up to expectations.
- Solar panel "paved" roadways are proving to be inefficient and too expensive.