The Great Revival of the Islamists
"John Quincy Adams said that the United States should be the 'well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all . . . , the champion and vindicator only of her own.'”
Article written by guest writer Rin Mitchell
What’s the Latest Development?
After a meeting between Defense Secretary Leon Panetta and the new Egyptian President Mohammed Morsi, it was reportedly declared that Egypt is committed to “putting into place a democratic government.” Morsi and his Muslim Brotherhood have been “drafting a constitution to elevate Islamists over all other Egyptians.” In other Muslim countries, Islamist parties are taking political power. “The U.S. could have robustly supported the Iranian democrats who asked for American help; allied with Arab liberals instead of courting Arab dictators; funneled weapons and money to parties that we’d have come to know; and tied foreign aid and trade to regimes’ human rights policies.” It is the short-sightedness that opened the door to make way for the Islamist comeback, which is "accomplished by one side but always facilitated by the other. In the gap between American rhetoric and American action Islamists staged a revival.”
What’s the Big Idea?
The United States options to counter the Islamist comeback reportedly were limited, but they weren’t nonexistent. "Let us acknowledge the enormity now unfolding and also pay heed to historical context. This is not merely a regional rise in Islamist power. It is the dawn of a great Islamist comeback."
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
China's Chang'e 4 biosphere experiment marks a first for humankind.
- China's Chang'e 4 lunar lander touched down on the far side of the moon on January 3.
- In addition to a lunar rover, the lander carried a biosphere experiment that contains five sets of plants and some insects.
- The experiment is designed to test how astronauts might someday grow plants in space to sustain long-term settlements.
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
Arranged marriages and Western romantic practices have more in common than we might think.
In his book In Praise of Love (2009), the French communist philosopher Alain Badiou attacks the notion of 'risk-free love', which he sees written in the commercial language of dating services that promise their customers 'love, without falling in love'.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.