The End of Space-Time?
"Physicists struggling to reconcile gravity with quantum mechanics have hailed a theory—inspired by pencil lead—that could make it all very simple." The New Scientist reports.
"Physicists struggling to reconcile gravity with quantum mechanics have hailed a theory—inspired by pencil lead—that could make it all very simple." The New Scientist reports: "Something has to give in this tussle between general relativity and quantum mechanics, and the smart money says that it's relativity that will be the loser. So [Petr] Horava [of the University of California Berkeley] began looking for ways to tweak Einstein's equations. He found inspiration in an unlikely place: the physics of condensed matter, including the material of the moment—pencil lead."
Are university safe spaces killing intellectual growth?
Our experience of time may be blinding us to its true nature, say scientists.
- Time may not be passing at all, says the Block Universe Theory.
- Time travel may be possible.
- Your perception of time is likely relative to you and limited.
From questionable shipwrecks to outright attacks, they clearly don't want to be bothered.
- Many have tried to contact the Sentinelese, to write about them, or otherwise.
- But the inhabitants of the 23 square mile island in the Bay of Bengal don't want anything to do with the outside world.
- Their numbers are unknown, but either 40 or 500 remain.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.